Pages

February 20, 2007

Twenty Seven

My second oldest son turned 27 today... Happy Birthday E!

I remember finding out that my first wife was pregnant, right after my Dad passed away in 1979. They say that for every soul departing, there is another arriving... I always kinda hoped that the news was "the big guy's" way of returning my Dad to us.

My oldest son B, was the most mellow child. Rarely did he fuss, rarely did he cry, he slept through the night very early on. As a matter of fact, we were taking him out to places within weeks of his birth, and he was always so "easy" for lack of a better word and always seemed to be able to entertain himself...

There would probably never have been a number two son, if number two was born first!

E came into the world at 10lbs 13oz, and had a full head of blond hair. He was the "nastiest" little baby (sorry son) he cried all the time, never slept through the night, cried all the time, puked, burped, farted, and pooped endlessly, and did I mention he cried all the time? He always needed attention... At 24, I had never been exposed to anything as needy as this little thing was...

As time progressed, the infant needs subsided. E was no doubt the one interviewed, when whoever it was coined the phrase "The terrible twos". "Sdat?" (what's that) and "Upme" (pick me up) were his favorite words/sentences. After a while even my Mom commented to me... She said something like "You know something Tom, after all the heck you put me through when you were younger, you deserve him!!!" (E and I actually look alot alike too).

Tweens and teens were spent with his mom and brother, alternating weekends with me and a new family of siblings. At home, his mom kept him involved in scouting (he got his eagle). With me he was "one of five" and always an entertainer and irritator. We (the five collective children, my second wife and I) took a couple of vacations in rented motor homes... E was always training the younger kids in the ways of a boy scout, teaching them how cool an open fire was, and how to fish for trout in a 24' above ground pool... "My last meeel... was a peeece of corn" became a family joke, (imagine the phrase uttered in a middle eastern accent) that's what E muttered as he opened and closed the trout's mouth when they returned to our campsite with $60 dollars worth of fattened fish. Many a time I would hear his name hollered by a younger brother or sister from the other end of the house, as if he had just set their bed on fire... He had a way of pissing all of them off and getting blamed for anything that went wrong... Probably more times than he really earned on his own...

Today E still lives in South Florida. He and I talk periodically but not nearly enough. He has grown into a polite, handsome, caring (and somewhat twisted) adult and seems to be happy...

Happy Birthday Son!
I will always love you more than you know!

Over and "Out" from Toano, VA

4 comments:

TWISI said...

Nice post.

Doug said...

Happy birthday to twisted, trouble-making E! He sounds like a fun person. Next time I'm in South Florida, perhaps I'll look him up and find out what stories he has to tell about you. Bwwwuuauaahahahaha! ;)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post. Sounds like you're a proud father :)

GuyDads said...

Just saw the entry about your 2nd oldest son's birthday. Both my partner and I each have 3 kids (6 total) from marriages. The third just turned 21. I love it when they get into their 20's. After the terrible teens they become human again!

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your Comments, I love them all: