Pages

August 22, 2008

Two Thousand-Eight

I am so excited about the election this year. I watched the live local coverage of Barack Obama in... of all places... Chesapeake, VA last night!
I was not sure I was going to watch it live, but am so happy I did. This man (and the man he selects as his running mate) has a vision that McBush just doesn't articulate... My two youngest children went to middle and high school here in Virginia. We have what many states have, standardized testing throughout those grade levels. Here in Virginia they are called the "Standards of Learning" or "SOL's". I watched my teens be taught to these tests. I mean, the schools would lose their accreditation if the scores on these tests were below a certain point. So the focus was always on teaching to the SOL's, rather than"just plain" teaching period...

A few of the things that grabbed my attention:

On the middle class... "Are you better off now, than you were when George Bush took office?" If you are, then vote for John McCain...

On civil liberties... the Bush administration disregarded the constitution in an attempt to maintain "national security"... "The first thing I will do when elected, is to have my Attorney General review all of Bush's executive orders, and those that defy the words of the constitution will be eliminated"...

On health care... Health care extends beyond physical health needs... Mental health, including PTSD for our VETS is not being addressed. Some of our citizens are being locked up in jail, when they should be receiving unavailable health care...

And OMG, I love the parenting reference.... Fathers need to be Fathers, regardless of their relationship with the mother...

I know there are a few McBush supporters out there, but this guy is our future, not our past!

Over and "Out" from Chesapeake, VA

1 comment:

manxxman said...

Unfortunately I live in Kentucky where Obama has absolutely no chance of winning.....it's very depressing. But I'm still going to vote.

McCain hasn't announced his VP candidate yet.....you think he's considering Cheney.....after all he has experience as a President.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your Comments, I love them all: