Pages

September 23, 2010

Stepping Down...


I have been pondering again, this past Saturday was the 55th anniversary of my birth in Bucks County, PA (yes, I am truly a Yankee), oddly enough, I spent it in Richmond (the Capital of the Confederacy) with my daughter.  While there, I got to thinking about work (how messed up is that? I hadn't seen her in over a year, and I was thinking about work)...

As a few of you might remember from posts back in May and June of 2007, I was excited about getting back into management after some time refocusing and de-stressing in the wake of my Cardiac Event in 2005. Part of that process included selling furniture on a 100% commission basis (enter my now five years with American Signature/Value City Furniture).  Anyway, back to this past weekend...  While enjoying time with my daughter, talking about stuff most parents and children never have to talk about, I started thinking about stuff that needed to be done at work, and whether my boss and the new Sales Manager would be able to handle the operations stuff for a whole weekend.  I realized the stress and anxieties that I had once shed, had returned...  I went back into management for the steady paycheck and because I know I am good at what I do.  A year after taking this job, I found out that the bonus I was promised, and had met all the criteria for, had been eliminated/terminated by the company (they forgot to communicate that fact with a few of us).  No biggie though, I knew I was excelling in this position, and I knew my merit increase would make up for some of the bonus loss.  

Enter the Bush Administration induced economic collapse and most signs for at least, a cost of living increase. The following year was pretty much the same, as is this current year (all merit increases for all associates happen in September/October)...  Mine will be less than 2%.  FUCK that!

On Tuesday, I sent an email to my store manager and the regional manager asking to "step down" from my current position as soon as a sales position at a neighboring store opened up...

More to come, as I process it...

Over and most certainly "Out" from Portsmouth, VA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That sucks! The company I work for has an easy to hit bonus target. I get 10% of annual pay. After tax it'll be about 5 grand but still, it's nice to have.

And I'm not even in sales. I'm in a grey-world of I.T.

Thomas (Tom) Rimington said...

I am not truly in sales either, other than I work for a retailer... I just resent the fact that (regardless of the monetary recognition) I don't feel appreciated...

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your Comments, I love them all: