Pages

May 23, 2010

Repost from June 2008

In case I didn't make my point some two years ago, here is a repost, my feelings and idiology have not changed:

"I don't understand some people. I came out late in my life and when I opened the closet door, I didn't walk out, I FLEW OUT! Tearing the door down on my way. It was one of the scariest things I have ever done in my life and also one of the most honest. I announced to the world that I was gay and proud to be that way.

I have met a number of people, since coming out, that have always been homosexual. What I mean by that, is that they have lived their lives as a homosexual (hopefully I don't need to define that), yet they choose to hide their identity from the rest of the world. That is, they live in something that closely resembles "the closet" and describe themselves as "straight acting" and not into the "gay scene". I have news for these folks. You are not gay! You are just... homosexuals!

If we don't let the world know that we exist, (that we shop at the same supermarkets as they do, that we attend the same religious venues, that we park our car next to theirs at the mall, that we serve their meals to them when dining out, that we are their favorite performers and artists, that we are the people that answer the phone when they call our company for help), then we will never gain their trust and respect. We know who we are, and it's our responsibility to enlighten the rest of the world. It's our responsibility to help them understand that what we want is nothing more than what they want (or in most cases already have). We will never win the battle on equal rights by not allowing them to see us (and know us) as we are every day.

What I say to the "straight acting" homosexuals out there, that are embarrassed or uncomfortable to be gay and proud is: BE PROUD and let someone know... who you really are, and what it is you really want! Unless all you want in your life is just sex behind closed doors without an open caring relationship" (one that includes public offerings of mutual affection) "to go along with it".

I love holding hands without being stared at, I love giving my man a peck on the cheek without being questioned, it's not like we are going to go down on each other on aisle 3 of the supermarket!

"ps: I like a man that is a MAN and if I offend anyone by using the term "straight acting" in the wrong context, I apologize..."

Congratulations to my friends Kelly and Jeff, in Richmond, for getting themselves over the "gay hump" and announcing their engagement and eventual wedding in DC...  Kudos to both of you!

Over and "Out" from my gayborhood in Portsmouth, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your Comments, I love them all: