Pages

May 12, 2009

Mothers Day Weekend

I don't post too often about my Mom... She is one of the most amazing people I know, and I'm not just saying that because she's MY Mom (well maybe I am a little biased)...

There are a few things (besides my extreme good looks) that I inherited from her that I cherish every day. Her optimism, her young soul, her honesty, and her open mindedness, to name a few. I was so worried what she would think when I came out to her several years ago. She couldn't have cared less about me being gay, so long as I was happy. I was 50 years old and worried still, what my "Mommy" thought of me...

I see so many moms that continue to mother their children after their parenting job is done. While it may seem a little weird, my Mom has never done that... I have also adopted that philosophy. Once we became somewhat self reliant, Mom stepped out of the picture unless we asked her for advice or guidance. Don't get me wrong here, she has always been involved in things; Grandchildren, weddings, funerals, etc... but she never meddled.

I think she and I may both have the same thoughts about this. We spent the first half of our lives being kids, making our mark, and "doing" for our children. The second half is for ourselves, for experiencing the things we either chose not to, or couldn't earlier in our lives.

I am a much stronger person thanks to her... I love you Mom!

Over and "Out" from the 2nd half of my life in Portsmouth, VA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post......I feel the same way about my mom. She turned 90 this year and she is as amazing as ever.

johnmichael said...

Great post!

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your Comments, I love them all: